Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Syslog over Internet

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:23:48 -0700

  Standard syslog uses UDP to deliver log messages to
the server.  That means that if any of them gets lost
along the way, nobody will know or care.
  So I'm reluctant to try to send standard syslog across
the Internet to a remote server.

  There are a couple of ways to try to fix this.  The
new syslog-sec standard should help, but you're probably
dealing with gear that doesn't yet support it.
  Next best might be to log both locally and remotely, and
FTP the local (remote to you...) logs periodically.

Dave Gillett