Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Syslog over Internet

From: "DeGennaro, Gregory" <Gregory_DeGennaro () csaa com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:07:00 -0700

Not a very good idea for two reasons;

1)  You could get syslog bombed - a form of DoS.
2)  Sensitive information, like IP addresses and DNS (machine)names, are
listed in Syslog.
3)  I, and others will agree, that security information should stay within
the company for many reasons such as confidentiality, easier to access,
validity of the logs, and etc.

If you have to absolutely do this; make sure to either encrypt the logs or
send it over an encrypted tunnel and make sure to hash the logs.  However,
personally, I would keep this inside or at the very least, to a vendor over
an extranet line.

Regards,

Greg DeGennaro Jr., CCNP
Security Analyst