Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows XP computer spewing packets

From: Dave <david.morris () curvalue nl>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 09:59:10 +0200

Hi,
      Yes 10^12 packets is a bit high. In one day (quickly checking
calculator) there are only 86400 seconds. Do a quick sum and find that your
system is supposedly sending out over 11,000,000 packets a second average.
Now there is some hardware that could deal with that - but I do not think
that a laptop could possibly do this (someone correct me if I am wrong ?). Or
even 11,000.

So first check your packet totals. I do not think that it they can be
correct.

Best Regards,
                Dave