Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Using non-printable characters in passwords

From: Meidinger Chris <chris.meidinger () badenit de>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:10:57 +0100

I know you don't want to hear this, but remember that MS Windows NT or 2000
running in hybrid mode uses an NTLM hash to represent the password. This
hash represents only 7 characters, meaning that if you have a 21 character
password, it is really 3 consecutive 7 character passwords. Thus your 21
char pass is barely stronger than a 7 character password. For this reaason
complexity is very important in windows, and not length.

just a reminder for anyone in a windows environment who is setting password
requirements.

badenIT GmbH
System Support

Chris Meidinger