Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Using non-printable characters in passwords

From: "Meritt James" <meritt_james () bah com>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 11:35:52 -0400

And you thought the UUENCODE bug was limited to URL hacks?  Nahhhhh.
Warning:  Some systems will let you SET passwords using characters which
are unrecognized by the system to gain access, resulting in you locking
yourself out.  It pays to know field separators, for instance.  Things
like " " (the space character) are a bad idea...

Jim

"Optrics Engineering - Shaun Sturby, MCSE" wrote:

Executive Summary: This manifesto is designed to give system administrators a
better grasp on the importance of password security. It is also designed to help
users understand the importance of choosing a strong password

http://www.somorita.com/Networking/PasswordManifesto.asp

Want to make it even stronger?  The there are some characters that you can type
but that don't exist on the keyboard.  I call these ALT characters. You get
these characters by holding down the ALT key and typing a code on the numeric
keypad. For example, if I type ALT-156 I get ?. Pretty kewl, eh?  And you can
use that as a key combination as one of the characters in your password. Most
password cracking programs never check those characters and if they did it would
take them much longer to crack passwords. Some of the common ALT combinations
are shown at the end of this document.