Security Basics mailing list archives

Using non-printable characters in passwords

From: Birl <sbirl () temple edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:41:09 -0400 (EDT)

Using cross-platform keyboards (SUN, Windows, Mac), how does one use
non-printable characters in their passwords?

Since I work cross-platform, I use only a limited number of characters
while holding down the CTRL key.

Whilst searching Google, I came across a SecurityFocus article that said:
"hold down the ALT key while pressing the 1,2, and 9 keys on the numeric
keypad"

Additionally, the Google search I used
      non-printable characters passwords
came up with more information about recovery and programs to avoid using
non-printable characters.

Are there any other combinations?  If I recall correctly, a SANS
instructor mentioned making use of the "Print Screen" key.

Thanks in advance

 Scott Birl                              http://concept.temple.edu/sysadmin/
 Senior Systems Administrator            Computer Services   Temple University