Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Cable Vs. DSL

From: Greg Tracy <greg () sixx com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 11:07:42 -0700

Here's a question (I'm relatively new at this). I have a cable connection, with a broadband NAT router which acts as a DHCP server for a variety of clients (Mac, Win2K and Linux). All the machines are given an internal IP address (like the old class C addresses) and the router has the address assigned by the ISP, which is what the clients are seen to have from the internet. Since the router's address is seen as one address from outside, and there's no "host" at that IP address, and it is administered at an internal address inside the network, is there any way for an intruder to compromise my network and get to any of my client machines? Is this the best way (other than using a firewall, or in addition to) to make this connection more secure?