Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Cable Vs. DSL

From: Frank Gearhart <fgearhart () adelphia net>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 17:29:43 -0600

On 4/24/03 10:37 PM, "Callan K L Tham" <miburo () singnet com sg> wrote:

I'm no security guru, just a network admin working on a master's.  I use a
cable modem at home, with a Net Gear ProSafe Firewall Router (model FR114P)
protecting an Apple running OS X and a laptop running Win2K.  I have the
firewall set to deny pretty much anything incoming except http, and each
machine runs a software firewall - I use the included firewall for OS X and
Sybase free firewall for the Win2k laptop.

The Net Gear logs do pick up a fair amount of denied incoming traffic, but
so far the software firewall logs haven't shown anything.  I agree that for
most home users a decent router with any filtering rules set to deny almost
all incoming packets should work.

I've tried to "see" my router from outside using the IP address assigned by
my ISP, and it seems to be effectively stealthed (no ICMP replies, etc.)
The router can be administered remotely (via the Web) using the ISP-supplied
IP and a specific port, but that can be turned off.

I've used Net Gear for my home systems for a long time - primarily for ease
of use and for the 5-year warranty (which I've used once or twice with no
problems).

For a small office, something more would probably be needed.  I agree with
what's been said before: "It depends on how paranoid you are."  A router is
just one layer of protection.  The software firewall adds another layer, and
for my home that's enough.  I've used some sort of router/firewall with
ISDN, 2-way satellite and cable and I've never had a successful intrusion
that I know of.

Bottom line: for a home broadband connection, at the least get a router with
NAT, set the rules to deny incoming traffic unless you have a good reason
not to, and turn off any remote administration options on the router.  Oh,
and keep up on any upgrades and firmware updates.

Just my own $0.02.

--
Frank Gearhart
Colorado Springs, CO

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
ensure your place.  http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-security-basics