Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Automated analysis of logs?

From: "Kinsey, Robert" <Robert.Kinsey () Veridian com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 14:58:07 -0700

I agree, Jon, that using something to "clean up" the alert logs is a
generally good thing (tm).  I am more concerned with the tendency for folks
to "de tune" based on certain criteria.

For example, you may permit anonymous FTP logins from certain locations
(other offices within the company) but what about the others?  Trying to
concoct a rule to grep out only those that are NOT from within the allowed
ranges would be overwhelming.  In some cases reading the raw logs would be
beneficial - not in all cases however.  A simple probe would be improved if
you could just log (and then grep) the number of probing attempts from IP x
and show what IPs or ports they tried to hit.

In some ways the newer IDS tools do this well (again for raw analysis and
correlation) but I have yet to see one that gave you the firehose WITH
correlation very well.

Regards,
Robert Kinsey