Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Automated analysis of logs?

From: "K. K. Mookhey" <cto () nii co in>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 10:55:02 +0530

Hi Mark,
I am not sure if this is useful, and I am aware that there are tools to do this for syslog and Apache logs. But, we at
NII just released a generic log analyzer, called, um..Log Analyzer.
Its available for download with source code at http://www.nii.co.in/research/tools.html
You need to point it to the directory containing your IIS log files and a pattern file containing attack signatures. In
fact, the download comes with a default match.pat file which contains IIS attack signatures.
However, it won't give you any statistics, only the lines which match the signatures and the log files in which they
occur. Since its a command-line tool you can schedule its running with 'at'. You can also specify the file names to
match. For instance if you only want files from a certain day onwards, you can specify those files names with the -t
switch.
Cheers,
K. K. Mookhey
CTO,