Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Company Firewall's IP Address

From: Bill Hamel <billh () bugs hamel net>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 19:49:28 -0500 (EST)

Hi Ed,

I believe in the original post, the poster was concerned that the IP
address of their firewall showed up in a pop-up using a browser, and how
to keep that from happening. This would suggest outbound port 80 activity,
maybe SSL. I am assuming this is the external address of the firewall.

All I am saying is that the external ip address of a firewall will
always be known by whomever or whatever you are connecting to. if the machine
this user is conecting to, out on the internet,
is showing their internal RFC1597 IP address IMHO that is impossible since
private IP space doesn't route.

As far as port 25 goes, inbound connections on 25 TCP typically go to an
SMTP server, hopefully on a DMZ. I think what you are saying is that
outbound SMTP traffic will show in the email header the internal IP
address of the original sending client. Which is true with stateful
inspection or less firewalls. but most application proxy level firewalls
will remove this information (if configured correctly).

Some mail (SMTP) servers need to be on the trusted network for technical
reasons (Yuk!), in which case a firewall that utilizes it's own mail
servers is the best bet because not one bit from the internet ever
directly gets to the SMTP server.

Jeesh, I hope I didn't cloud the issue :)

-bh