Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Question on Blocking an ISP.

From: "* KAPIL *" <kapil () kapilville com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 22:55:31 -0600

I highly doubt that 99% of email traffic you receive from aol.com is
SPAM. Most likely, the email headers have been fudged to appear as if
they originated from aol.com. ...and I don't think wholesale blocking of
IPs is a prudent practice. First off, AOL, as I mentioned, is
huge....why would you want to cut off your user base from communicating
with the user base of the largest ISP in the world? Secondly, it is just
against the spirit in which the internet was created. The idea, for
better or for worse is to keep the networks connected together....if
everyone started blocking everyone else...pretty soon we'd have islands
of IP networks and the internet wouldn't be too internetworked.

Stand Up For Free Speech
http://www.eff.org