Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Webmail authentication

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 15:57:21 -0800

From: "David Brown" <David.Brown () synergex com>
My company is working on a webmail implementation, which requires that
the user authenticate to an NT domain.  Regardless of the
authentication method, there is always an option in the login dialog
to 'Save this password in your password list', which seems to be
browser driven.  I don't want my user population saving their
passwords to various computers all over the world.  Does anyone have a
clue how to remove or disable this option?

If you mean browsers on your corporate network you can disable it in IE\tools\options or lock it down using local security policy/active directory (this assumes you're using IE, don't think that will work for mozilla, netscape, opera, or lynx) Basically though I would not rely on this method even if you are using IE. I recommed that instead of allowing your users to type in their passwords into a javascript form box, you should use another authentication method. Certificates might be a good idea or you could create a virtual keyboard on the sign in page, and have them click on the buttons to enter their password. Whatever you come up with, I agree that having your passwords saved all over the place is a bad idea, and you might want to consider forcing them to use a different password for email than their logon password.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Live dangerously, overclock your servers."