Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Webmail authentication

From: "Nicole Nicholson" <nanicholson () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:01:06 -0800

David-

I wouldn't recommend password-only authentication to your webmail (or any remote connection to a company's internal resources). Even if there was some trick in HTML or some IE setting to prevent a browser from storing a password (which I think there is), I'm sure someone will come up with a hack that will circumvent it next week (if it doesn't exist already).

My recommendation would be to use a one-time-password type of scheme such as token-based authentication (SecurID) or others such that a saved password is (mostly) useless.

-Nicole

-- SNIP --

My company is working on a webmail implementation, which requires that the user authenticate to an NT domain. Regardless of the authentication method, there is always an option in the login dialog to 'Save this password in your password list', which seems to be browser driven. I don't want my user population saving their passwords to various computers all over the world. Does anyone have a clue how to remove or disable this option?

David M. Brown
Director, IT Services
S Y N E R G E X
<www.synergex.com>