Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Telnet Security Question for a Router.

From: "d'Ambly, Jeff" <jdambly () monster com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 13:41:35 -0500

Here is a great example of a secure router config

http://www.cymru.com/Documents/secure-ios-template.html

        As is see it TACACS is the only way to go for router logins, I don't
know why they would object to it.

        I don't see why they would object to ssh, as far as I know ssh does
not send clear text passwords, I used ssh and sniffed out all my packets and
I did not see the password in clear text.

        I object to ssh on the routers because the code releases that
support ssh tend to be buggy. This is not directly related to ssh. The
problem is that these images also support other features that have not been
fully tested.
        I like to run service provider on all my routers, this is a stripped
down image and does not have all the features that you may need. I don't use
any but the basic features BGP, CEF, ISL and I run an IP only network, so it
makes more sense for me to use that.

In the end it is up to you what code you choose the TAC can help you with
that

        Some other people don't like the added cpu over head ssh gives the
routers. This really depends on what platform you are using and what the cpu
usage is on the router. If the routers are really busy I have seen some
cases where ssh will hinder trouble shooting.

Hope this helps.