Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: changing MAC address

From: bozo () SZIVARVANYNET HU (Borbely Zoltan)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 05:17:09 +0200

On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 12:21:12PM +0200, Antonio Fernandes Vazquez wrote:
On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Arturo Busleiman wrote:

This is question regarding an old thread.

as an example, under linux, as root:

  ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:aa:23:ce:3a:11

changes the mac address of eth0 to 00:aa:23:ce:3a:11, iirc.

        [root@machine /root]# ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:aa:23:ce:3a:11
        SIOCSIFHWADDR: Device or resource busy

why does this happen? under which circumstances can I use ifconfig for
that purpose?

I'm not totally sure that this purpose with ifconfig will works in every
ethernet card, i think that in major this info is written into an ROM.
I try to set down the interface and after change it, but not possible in
my case, you can read more about this in hacking () argo es. ;)

I think most of the ethernet cards are capable to change their mac address.
If I remember correctly we have to thank this to DEC :-) The DECnet protocol
family isn't contain a helper protocol like ARP, so the area and node
address are coded into the ethernet address. So if the mac address of a
card can't be changed it can't use decnet...

In this example maybe the driver doesn't support SIOCSIFHWADDR ioctl...

Zoltan BORBELY