Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: changing MAC address

From: chris () STRICTLY NOSUCKAZ NET (chris () STRICTLY NOSUCKAZ NET)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:45:03 -0600

This happens when your trying to modify the MAC and the interface
is marked 'UP', older versions of linux (i beleive 2.0.x used to
let you change a live mac (software change only!!)), but recent vers
i've found do not let you do this anymore..

I usually use 'changemac', which notes you probrably have to have the
ethernet down:

--/snip/--

changemac - soft change MAC address of your ethernet card
changemac -l | [-d number ] [ -r | -a address ]
before you try to use it just turn ethernet card off, ifconfig ethX down
-d number    number of ethernet device
-h           this help
-a address   address format is xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
-c number    number in list of known cards that we will use
-r           set random generated address
-s           list first three MAC bytes of known ethernet vendors
-l           same as -l but you dont have to type | more
example: changemac -d 1 -a 12:34:56:78:9a:bc

--/snip/--

Chris.