Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Crashing Win9x

From: as () PSA AT (Alexander Sanda)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 12:22:07 +0200

At 20:48 20.03.2000 +0000, Alun Jones wrote:

This has been a known awkwardness in Windows (and indeed
anything based on the DOS underpinnings) for some time -
we've had code that specifically checks for "CON", "PRN"
or "AUX" for several years now, although one of our
competitors actually makes a selling point of the idea that
users can come in and write directly to your printer
through their FTP server!

Essentially, the word from Microsoft has so far been for
apps not to create files called CON, PRN, AUX, COM1-4, LPT1-
3, or CLOCK$ (sorry if I've missed any).  There are,
however, a few ways and means to create files of such a
name, and they've proven traditionally to be a little
tricky to remove (of the same order of trickery as creating
a file on Unix with a leading '-' character).

If this is really what MS says than it sounds like a very bad joke.
Excuse me, but what would customers say when they buy a new car and the
sales rep tells them - "ok, fine here it is, but please don't use the 3rd
gear, it will blow up your car and eventually kill you".

This remembers me to a .sig I have seen somewhere:

# If builders built houses the way programmers write programs then the #
# first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization.           #