Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] GPL rules - who maintainsthem?Nobody?

From: Martin Holste <mcholste () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:06:23 -0500

Don't apologize for starting the thread! It's made for some highly
entertaining reading over the weekend. Here are some observations:

Entertaining reading indeed!  It takes passion to be good at security
(or anything, I suppose), and it's good to see there's no shortage.  I
said it earlier but it bears repeating: much respect to Sourcefire as
a company for participating in any kind of discussion.  It puts you
guys head and shoulders above the rest of your corporate competition.

As for the GPL SID's: My wish/vote is for ET to drop them entirely.  I
find very little value in them.  There may be a handful that are still
helpful, and those should be created as new SID's in the ET set.  Let
SF be the sole maintainer of the GPL sigs.  I think the greatest value
to novice IDS'ers would be to make them disabled by default so they
don't get bogged down in the FP's.