Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] GPL rules - who maintainsthem?Nobody?

From: "Weir, Jason" <jason.weir () nhrs org>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:33:37 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: evilghost () packetmail net [mailto:evilghost () packetmail net]
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2011 10:29 AM
To: Matthew Jonkman
Cc: Weir, Jason; emerging-sigs () emergingthreats net;
snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Emerging-Sigs] [Snort-users] GPL rules - who
maintainsthem?Nobody?

On 03/21/11 09:24, Matthew Jonkman wrote:
Any other ideas?

I do not like the idea of re-SIDing.  It doesn't make sense, promotes
unnecessary duplication, and can result in performance
degradation and disparity
between the GPL rules.

In the spirit of the GPL, if you make changes, you submit
said changes upstream.

If we make improvements we should submit them to VRT, and
vice versa.  Their
inclusion is up to VRT/ET respectively.

I do not vote we re-SID.  I do vote we preserve SID and communicate
upstream/downstream on changes.  A rational person would
evaluate the changes,
engage in mutual discussion, and agree on modifications.

Re-SIDing is stupid.

evilghost - I agree that re-SIDing is stupid...  But the rest of your
suggestions require VRT and ET cooperate and have a healthy back in
forth relationship.  It seems clear that will never happen..

-J