Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] GPL rules - who maintains them? Nobody?

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:43:38 -0400

Okay --

I've say back some of this discussion to see how it would pan out.  But I
feel as if this has gone on long enough without input, not saying I'm
cutting it short, but....  Let me sum up everything as I see it, and
hopefully we can fix the whole issue.

   - I haven't diff'ed your version of the gpl rules to ours, I'll try and
   make time to do that today if I can -- and I haven't diffed our gpl rules
   from 2005 to now (3464 and below), but I suspect they haven't changed much
   maybe some references and what not, but I'd like to see what else.
   - I have a couple ideas that I have discussed with Sourcefire internally,
   and I'm not going to talk about those until they come out.  I don't want to
   say "here's my idea" and then have someone print it out and staple it to a
   wall.  (evilghost -- ;).
   - I'd like the maintainers of the ET GPL rules to please send me any
   changes that you have made to the rules that we could incorporate, as that
   has not been done yet, and it should be.
   - I'd like the maintainers of the ET GPL rules, if you insist on keeping
   the GPL rules, please fork them, re-sid them, and add a reference back to
   the original SID.  Please do not duplicate the SIDS that are already
   assigned.  That's the major point of this whole thread.  To avoid this whole
   thread from occurring again.
   - If we are going to coexist, (ET and VRT) then this is the way it must
   be.  We are a community.  We are acting like one, we will have our fights
   and our disagreements, that's fine.  But let's make them constructive.

On a personal note, I've tried to reach out heavily to you Matt both on list
and privately to try and unify the communities, you go your way with PRO
sigs and we go our way with PRO sigs.  But meet in the middle somewhere.
 I've received *zero* push back from Sourcefire on this, and I've received
nothing *but* "I don't believe you", "It hasn't worked before", etc from
your side.

I do feel a bit insulted that you'd insult me or Jason's integrity or
"community spirit" (as that's my job), and even more insulted that anyone
would insult the VRT.  They are a very hardworking group of individuals, and
no one understands what goes on in that group if you aren't inside.  On
purpose.  Are we going to open that kimono a bit?  I hope so.

I'm not asking for an apology, this is my job.  To have these discussions
and come up with a solution that is best for the community.  I have a couple
ideas that may or may not work, and that's fine either way.  If they don't
work, then we'll keep going the way we have been going.  If they do work,
then we'll have a closer community.  But please don't say that I have no
community spirit or aren't working to unify it.

Would I like to have a healthy working relationship between ET, the VRT, and
the community?  Yes.
I do not presume to speak for VRT, but I am sure a healthy community is also
in their interests as well.  Do I think we have a dysfunctional marriage
right now?  Yes.
Do I think we can fix it?  Yes.

Thanks,

Joel