Snort mailing list archives

Re: A case of beer on 63.204.135.168

From: John Kiehnle <john () arias net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 13:54:46 -0500

Ryan,

I agree that we should help rather than belittle people... especially in a public forum. That is what we are all here for. However, In an effort to dispell some myth you hold on host security I include this idea. Perhaps noone is interested in what you have on your box. Perhaps they just want to use your box as a platform to attack mine... Now, good host security takes on a whole new perspective. So please be vigilant about the security of your exposed boxes. No need to make the cracker's job any easier. Plug up that XP box befor you win the grand prize next week. : )

John

Ryan Lindsey wrote:

I agree. Some of us aren't exactly the most knowledgable on computer
security. That's why we are subscribed to this list. Yes, maybe this guy
doesn't know what he is doing but who cares? What effect does it have on
you? I have a WinXP box for video games and junk and it's probably wide
open. If someone wants to hack my box and check out my counter-strike
config, have at it. Like I have anything worth knowing about on my computer
anyway. Maybe some good porn but that's about it. Anyway, sorry for the
rant, but you shouldn't beat down on someone just because they don't know
what they are doing, much less make it public.

rbl