Snort mailing list archives

Re: A case of beer on 63.204.135.168

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 17:05:31 -0800

On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 07:26:08PM -0500, dr.kaos wrote:
On Friday 22 February 2002 07:04 pm, John Sage wrote:

I used to feel the same, back in November, maybe, but it's late
February 2002 and the incessant rain of Code Red/Nimda probes
continues unrelenting.

<snip>

For instance, in Jeff's earlier post, he mentioned an open relay on port 25
of the host he scanned. Anyone want to bet that someone saw that in the post
and uses the IP specified as a spam relay? I'm betting there's a pretty good
chance. And that just means more spam for you and me to killfile.

Yeah.. you're right there.

Posting an IP is a little out there, but posting the fact that there
are specicific open ports is not appropriate.

I have no doubt whatsoever that crackers monitor these lists.

Let them figure out what ports are open; I mean, that's what they're
supposed to be good at, eh?

- John
--
Most people don't type their own logfiles;  but, what do I care?