Snort mailing list archives

Re: A case of beer on 63.204.135.168

From: dr.kaos <dr.kaos () kaos to>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 18:14:12 -0500

On Friday 22 February 2002 04:48 pm, Jeff Jennings wrote:

This week's grand prize goes to 63.204.135.168
For allowing PUT rights on Port 80 (I wonder how many hackers are
lurking here).
Being vulnerable on Port 25 and many other ports...
Anyone need an open relay?

Ok, now, I don't mean to be a dick... but...

Posting someone else's IP to the list, at least in my book, qualifies as bad
practice. Granted, the guy's box may be insecure, but so are those of the
majority of the Win box owners out there. Hell, for all we know, this list is
subscribed to by countless lurking script-kiddies just _hoping_ someone will
post info like this to the list.

Let's all do the world a favor and help each other _improve_ the security of
each other's networks. If you're really concerned, try to contact the
owner of the box, or more easily, his ISP, and notify him/them of the
problem. Posting his IP could be constitued as _part_ of the problem.

In this case, I think I'll take a drink on your behalf as well... ;)

No wonder the guy is spewing Code Reds...
We just ran a port scan and tested the guy.
Some guy running IIS over a DSL connection with a site that is listed as
"Under Construction".
Just another unsuspecting guy who installed IIS on his home computer and
has no idea of how to protect it.

Yeah, you're right, they represent the vast majority of the population, but
let's educate them rather than humiliating them and making them more of a
target than they likely already are.

Again, I'm not trying to be mean, just wanna be helpful...

..[hiccup]...

peace,

./dr.kaos