Secure Coding mailing list archives

What is the size of this list?

From: goertzel_karen at bah.com (Goertzel, Karen [USA])
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 16:24:05 -0400

Actually, we can't prove programs are bug free if by "bug" we also mean all possible anomalous behaviours. My
colleagues keep pointing this out to me when I suggest that we should start leveraging the computational power of
computing grids to analyze complex software the same way other researchers are using grids to develop models of the
natural world, the human genome, etc. They keep quoting that bloke Kurt G?del with his pesky little incompletness
theorem as proof that 100% complete analysis of software cannot be done. Frankly, I'm beginning to think this is their
excuse for not even trying to get me to the 50%. But the point is, even if you can do everything "right" in terms of
building software to be vulnerability-free and behaviourally-benign, you apparently cannot achieve 100% verification
that you've done so. Ergo, assurance can never be 100%.

Karen Mercedes Goertzel, CISSP
Associate
703.698.7454
goertzel_karen at bah.com