Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [SINGLEWORD] radialnet

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 13:49:26 -0600

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 08:40:46PM +0100, Luis A. Bastiao Silva wrote:
Hi,

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 8:30 PM, sara fink <sara.fink () gmail com> wrote:

So, in this case if OS fingerprinting finds various options, with various
percentages, I won't know exactly what's going on there.

Yeah, I was see it few days ago. Probably the OS match with higher accuracy.

But I think that we don't know exactly what host is running.

Btw frequently accuracy is higher values (as I see in my XML scans).
So probably (with 90% sure running os Y) and probably (with 91% sure running
os Z ).
Why it happens?
Weird. Am I thinking right?

The OS matching algorithm just runs each fingerprint through some tests,
and for each test that passes, it adds some points. So an OS match of
90% means that it got 90% of the points. The points for each tests are
defined in the MatchPoints structure of nmap-os-db. See
http://nmap.org/book/osdetect-guess.html

David Fifield