Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nselib-bin

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 15:34:40 +0100

On 05/09/2008 06:55, David Fifield wrote:
In mswin32/nsis/Nmap.nsi I removed the line that installed the
nselib-bin directory, however I left in the lines that remove it on
uninstallation. The reason for that is I worried that the
C:\Program Files\Nmap directory wouldn't be fully removed when upgrading
and the installer would get a message that it's unsafe to install. I
would appreciate it if someone could try it out. Remove the lines that
say
        RMDir /r "$INSTDIR\nselib-bin"
and try running the installer with the C:\Program Files\Nmap\nselib-bin
directory present.

mswin32/nmap.sln still refers to nse_bitlib and nselib-bin. It's
probably safest to edit that file with Visual Studio.
The installer will happily install into a non-empty directory and will
happily leave the Nmap directory in place if not empty when uninstalling
so there is no problem removing this instruction from the nsi script.
There are two lines containing this instruction, one in the pre-install
section and one in the uninstall section.  I suggest leaving the former
and removing the latter.  Leaving the former means that users installing
the new version over the top of the old will have the nselib-bin
directory removed before installation.  The uninstaller generated would
not then need to remove the directory hence the removal of the
instruction from that section of the script.  Users uninstalling their
current installation would be using an existing uninstaller which will
still remove the nselib-bin directory.

Rob's patch [1] correctly removes nse_bitlib from mswin32/nmap.sln.

Regards,

jah

[1] - http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q3/0653.html