Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: C++ Development

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr () kyx net>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 19:45:58 -0700

On Sat, 09 Sep 2000, Jay Freeman (saurik) wrote:
“Oh come on… why are we even discussing this?  Take nmap and move it to C++?
Fyoder would be all over you in a minute.”

There are lots of great reasons NOT to put any c++ in nmap:
-Compiler availability
-No matter how clever you make the compilers
  there is always some overhead... admittedly negligible
  but in my opinion the compiler world has been in intel Stasis
  for the last 10 years. Mebbe all whis vliw stuff will shake that.
  So unless they've changed the optimizers tremendously,
  since I looked there is still always a small hit at a minimum.
-Heap overflows and other security sloppyness possible
...amongst others.

So there might be others who are vocal about staying at the lower
more predictable C level code for a network utility.   :-)

cheers,
--dr
--
dursec.com ltd. / kyx.net - we're from the future
pgp fingerprint: 18C7 E37C 2F94 E251 F18E  B7DC 2B71 A73E D2E8 A56D