nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cogent-TATA peering dispute?

From: Bill Woodcock <woody () pch net>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 07:14:03 +0200

On May 18, 2024, at 02:30, William Herrin <bill () herrin us> wrote:
So Cogent operates a root server because they bought PSI who ran a
root server and ICANN has never chosen to throw down the gauntlet.

As John said, ICANN has nothing to do with who runs root servers.  Last I knew, NTIA still believed that NTIA selects
the root server operators.  Eventually the last person at NTIA who still knows what that means will retire, and then
nobody in the USG will believe that they have responsibility.  Then, ICANN lawyers will presumably start insinuating
that, actually, ICANN can do what it wants there.  Which they’ve already laid the groundwork for by failing to reassign
the L-root nameserver for the last twenty-two years.  Not a task that should take twenty-two years, in my opinion…  CGI
is perfectly capable, and there are no root servers administered in the southern hemisphere.  State and Commerce were
considering reassigning it as an apology for the Rousseff spying incident in 2013, but they didn’t quite get it
together to act.

                                -Bill