nanog mailing list archives

Re: constant FEC errors juniper mpc10e 400g

From: Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 13:37:23 +0200

On 4/20/24 13:25, Saku Ytti wrote:

In most cases, modern optical long haul has a transponder, which
terminates your FEC, because clients offer gray, and you like
something a bit less depressing, like 1570.42nm.

This is not just FEC terminating, but also to a degree autonego
terminating, like RFI signal would be between you and transponder, so
these connections can be, and regularly are, provided without proper
end-to-end hardware liveliness, and even if they were delivered and
tested to have proper end-to-end HW liveliness, that may change during
operation, so line faults may or may not be propagated to both ends as
RFI assertion, and even if they are, how delayed they are, they may
suffer delay to allow for optical protection to engage, which may be
undesirable, as it eats into your convergence budget.

Of course the higher we go in the abstraction, the less likely you are
to get things like HW livelines detection, like I don't really see
anyone asking for this in their pseudowire services, even though it's
something that actually can be delivered. In Junos it's a single
config stanza in interface, to assert RFI to client port, if
pseudowire goes down in the operator network.

In our market (Africa), for both terrestrial and submarine services, OTN-type circuits are not typically ordered. Network operators are not really interested in receiving the additional link data that OTN or WAN-PHY provides. They truly want to leave the operation of the underlying transport backbone to the transport operator.

The few times we have come across the market asking for OTN is if they want to groom 10x 10G into 1x 100G, for example, to deliver structured services downstream.

Even when our market seeks OTN from European backhaul providers to extend submarine access into Europe and Asia-Pac, it is often for structured capacity grooming, and not for OAM benefit.

It would be interesting to learn whether other markets in the world still make a preference for OTN in lieu of Ethernet, for the OAM benefit, en masse. When I worked in Malaysia back in the day (2007 - 2012), WAN-PHY was generally asked for for 10G services, until about 2010; when folk started to choose LAN-PHY. The reason, back then, was to get that extra 1% of pipe bandwidth :-).

Mark.