nanog mailing list archives

Re: constant FEC errors juniper mpc10e 400g

From: Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 09:01:04 +0300

On Thu, 18 Apr 2024 at 21:49, Aaron Gould <aaron1 () gvtc com> wrote:

Thanks.  What "all the ethernet control frame juju" might you be referring to?  I don't recall Ethernet, in and of
itself, just sending stuff back and forth.  Does anyone know if this FEC stuff I see concurring is actually contained
in Ethernet Frames?  If so, please send a link to show the ethernet frame structure as it pertains to this 400g fec
stuff.  If so, I'd really like to know the header format, etc.

The frames in FEC are idle frames between actual ethernet frames. So
you recall right, without FEC, you won't see this idle traffic.

It's very very good, because now you actually know before putting the
circuit in production, if the circuit works or not.

Lot of people have processes to ping from router-to-router for N time,
trying to determine circuit correctness before putting traffic on it,
which looks absolutely childish compared to FEC, both in terms of how
reliable the presumed outcome is and how long it takes to get to that
presumed outcome.

--
  ++ytti