nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network visibility

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 10:33:13 -0700

On 10/20/21 8:26 AM, Mel Beckman wrote:
Mark,

As long as we’re being pedantic, January 1, 1983 is considered the official birthday of the Internet, when TCP/IP first let different kinds of computers on different networks talk to each other.

It’s 2021, hence the Internet is /less/ than, not more than, 40 years old.  Given your mathematical skills, I put no stock in your claim that we still can’t “buy an NMS that just works.” :)

Pedantically, IP is 40 years old as of last month. What you're talking about is the flag day. People including myself were looking into internet protocols well before the flag day.

Mike