nanog mailing list archives

Re: Juniper hardware recommendation

From: Alain Hebert <ahebert () pubnix net>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 19:26:23 -0400

    Yeah,

Routers for the whole Alphabet Soup.

    MX204, MX960 are pretty much headache free.  Heck even MX240 could be a good start if you are on a budget.
    ( Watch for the EoL )

Distribution ( MPLS Alphabet Soup without VXLAN/EVPN )

    QFX5100 made us feel like being full time members of the Juniper QA Team.  But once your find ALL the limitation of their chipset, they won't fail you.     ( Chipset limitations are not always handled by the configuration and rendered ports unusable until the device is rebooted ... Or make you wonder why the heck it ain't working until you find some notes in an obscure PR )

    We're going up to 100Gbps (and then 200Gbps) in distribution and we're feeling good about the QFX being able to handle it.

    PS: EVPN worked well in the Lab, but we're no using in our "scheme".

-----
Alain Hebert                                ahebert () pubnix net
PubNIX Inc.
50 boul. St-Charles
P.O. Box 26770     Beaconsfield, Quebec     H9W 6G7
Tel: 514-990-5911  http://www.pubnix.net    Fax: 514-990-9443