nanog mailing list archives

Re: 5G roadblock: labor

From: Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 17:46:18 -0500

On 12/30/19 5:42 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:
Oh, I didn't know that. Seems like it's a relatively new thing. Seems like they went to a lot of trouble to essentially do what voip does. Or maybe not? I've been poking around trying figure out what's going on under the hood with wifi calling, and it seems like they're just tunneling PSTN bits over the internet. If true, that's certainly a quick and dirty hack. Maybe they're doing something similar for volte?

My understanding is that VoLTE is signaled using SIP. I don't know how the media moves. I think they tried to avoid re-inventing the wheel. Most of the "phone" guys are slinging a lot of inter-network calls via IP these days, anyway.

Mostly what I want in the future is a dollop of EF QoS bits and let me determine how to use them...

Believe it or not, several of the major wireless and even wireline carriers seem to do this to some degree, though my evidence is anecdotal. They don't seem to drop when you exceed your dollop, though, but rather re-mark.
--
Brandon Martin