nanog mailing list archives

Re: 5G roadblock: labor

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 22:32:24 +0200

On 30/Dec/19 22:24, Matthew Petach wrote:

Unfortunately, Wi-Fi handoffs suck donkey balls compared to
cell tower handoffs when moving.  It's fine when you're
stationary, but walking down the street, and shifting from
one wifi hotspot to the next, you're going to be dropping
and re-establishing connections with a new endpoint IP
address every time.

Well, that's doubly true for VoWiFi hand-off to GSM and back. And the
MNO's are working hard to offload their network requirements to you.
Figures :-\...

If we solve the issue of endpoint identity on a connection
independent of the transport, so that your video stream
of the game doesn't have to stop and restart every time
you shift from one access point to the next, I could
definitely see wi-Fi beating 5G.

To be honest, I don't know anyone born in the 2000's who cares about
hand-off. Do they even know what it is?

Otherwise, I think 5G will win, in terms of better
user experience when non-stationary.

Wi-fi is typically used in a stationery setting. I don't know anyone
that expects seamless wi-fi hand-off when on the move.

In other words, the kids born in the 2000's want to find a spot with
wi-fi and never leave it unless the earth was caving in. No amount of 5,
6, 7, 8, 9 or 10G would convince a kid born in the 2000's that wi-fi is
evil.

Why do the MNO's, BizDev and analyst folk care about the kids born in
the 2000's? Well...

Mark.