nanog mailing list archives

Re: Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

From: "John Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: 6 Jun 2016 02:34:44 -0000

What is non-standard about an HE tunnel? It conforms to the relevant RFCs and
is a very common configuration widely deployed to many thousands of locations
around the internet.

Nothing whatsoever, but so what?

Most likely, these steps are being taken at the behest of their content providers,
but to the best of my knowledge, that is merely speculation so far as I don’t
believe Netflix themselves have confirmed this. (It’s not unlikely that they are
unable to do so due to those same content providers likely insisting on these
requirements being considered proprietary information subject to NDA.)

Of course they are.  Movie licenses are invariably country specific.

R's,
John