nanog mailing list archives

Re: Netflix VPN detection - actual engineer needed

From: Hugo Slabbert <hugo () slabnet com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2016 08:49:54 -0700

On Wed 2016-Jun-08 11:23:35 -0400, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
On Jun 7, 2016, at 9:21 AM, Mark Felder <feld () feld me> wrote:

On Jun 6, 2016, at 22:25, Spencer Ryan <sryan () arbor net> wrote:

The tunnelbroker service acts exactly like a VPN. It allows you, from any
arbitrary location in the world with an IPv4 address, to bring traffic out
via one of HE's 4 POP's, while completely masking your actual location.

Perhaps Netflix should automatically block any connection that's not from a known residential ISP or mobile ISP as anything
else could be a server someone is proxying through. It's very easy to get these subnets -- the spam filtering folks have
these subnets well documented. /s

--
 Mark Felder
 feld () feld me

Mark,

That would be bad.

The "/s" was of particular importance in Mark's email and I believe intended to apply to the whole line of reasoning, not just the "it's easy to get those blocks" section at the end.

--
Hugo Slabbert       | email, xmpp/jabber: hugo () slabnet com
pgp key: B178313E   | also on Signal