nanog mailing list archives

Re: New ICANN registrant change process

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 16:41:58 -0400

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 4:04 PM, David Conrad <drc () virtualized org> wrote:

Depends on whether or not the Registry wants their TLD to be associated
with spam/malware distribution/botnet C&C/phishing/pharming and be removed
at resolvers via RPZ or similar. Ultimately, the Registries are responsible
for the pool the Registrars are peeing in -- it's the Registry's namespace,
is it not?

it's not clear, to me, that any of those hammers have real effect.

Not sure the RPZ hammer has been brought out in force yet. I've seen a few
recommendations on various mailing lists, but no concerted effort.
Unfortunately, there is no easy/scalable way to determine who a registrar
for a given name is, so the hammer has to be applied to the TLD as a whole,
which has unfortunate side effects...

it's a fun game of chicken :( There have been some actions taken by
registries in the past (I think .TK did this at some point) to try and make
their cone more clean/neat, for a time .science was also being abused but
isn't (today) anymore. Perhaps this all self-polices?

 I love how people love to blame ICANN.

but, they are the names and numbers authority, no? it says so in their
name.

"Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers" -- Don't see
"authority" in that name. :)

I hate it when you are right :)