nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

From: "John Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: 1 Mar 2015 21:19:47 -0000

In article <54F32F1A.9090201 () meetinghouse net> you write:
Scott,

Asymmetric measured where?  Between client and server or between
servers?  I'm thinking the case where we each have a server running
locally - how do you get a high level of asymmetry in a P2P environment?

There's always a lot more stuff from other people than from you.
Unless you expect every server to connect directly to every other
server, you're going to end up with a small set of well connected
servers that feed stub servers and send way more than they receive,
and the stubs that receive way more than they send.

I have run usenet servers pretty much continuously for over 20 years,
and Usenet has always been like that.

R's,
John