nanog mailing list archives

Re: Verizon Policy Statement on Net Neutrality

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 09:10:06 -0500

Aled Morris wrote:

Sadly we don't have many "killer applications" for symmetric residential
bandwidth, but that's likely because we don't have the infrastructure to
incubate these applications.

Come to think of it, if USENET software wasn't so cumbersome, I kind of wonder if today's "social network" would consist of home servers running NNTP - and I expect the traffic would be very symmetric. (For that matter, with a few tweaks, the USENET model would be great for "groupware" - anybody remember the Netscape communications server that added private newsgroups and authentication to the mix?)

Miles Fidelman