nanog mailing list archives

Re: 10gbps peering subscriber switch recommendation

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 22:15:37 +0200

On Wednesday, January 08, 2014 09:45:50 PM excelsio () gmx com
wrote:

That´s actually a topic, I was thinking ago some time
ago. Why not take a current TOR switch with 1. BGP
support and 2. high buffer. Like mentioned above we have
Trident 2 bases switches. HP (no recommendation) has its
HP 5930 series but tells "Routing table size 16000
entries (IPv4), 8000 entries (IPv6)", but this one has
4GB RAM, so plenty of space for full tables. I haven´t
tried it out myself, perhaps someone tried on any other
device: What will happen, if I give the switch a full
table? Is there a software limit by the vendor, which
will simply cut everything above? Or would it simply
work?

The 4GB RAM is control plane memory.

The problem is FIB memory, since switches generally forward
Layer 2 and Layer 3 traffic in hardware, and this relies on
forwarding entries being recorded into the FIB.

The 16,000 IPv4 entries or 8,000 IPv6 entries is because of
limited FIB memory.

It's, typically, a switch limitation.

Mark.