nanog mailing list archives

Re: SIP on FTTH systems

From: Anders Löwinger <anders () abundo se>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 01:32:43 +0100

On 2014-02-11 23:41, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
Is there not an issue with this if the customer is connected directly to the
access device over L2? They will not communicate with each other direcly,
all traffic will be exchanged through the default gateway?

Yes, what's the problem with that?

Bad description by me. I'll try again.

If I have two PCs in my home, connected with GE to a L2 switch and I buy 10 Mbit Internet access, I don't want traffic between my two PCs to be exchanged through the default route.

They could possible communicate directly using link-local, but I'm not sure how they would find each other?

Default gw could send a redirect...

I'd venture to say that any IPv6 implementation that doesn't support this is
broken and should be fixed by the implementor.

Agree.

/Anders