nanog mailing list archives

Re: [[Infowarrior] - NSA Said to Have Used Heartbleed Bug for Years]

From: Barry Shein <bzs () world std com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 22:50:40 -0400

On April 17, 2014 at 10:03 gdt () gdt id au (Glen Turner) wrote:
Jason Iannone wrote:
I can't cite chapter and verse but I seem to remember this zeroing
problem was solved decades ago by just introducing a bit which said
this chunk of memory or disk is new (to this process) and not zeroed
but if there's any attempt to actually access it then read it back as
if it were filled with zeros, or alternatively zero it.

Actually those were my words trying to describe kernel management of
disk blocks, sparse files, etc, not user space.

  -b