nanog mailing list archives

Re: [[Infowarrior] - NSA Said to Have Used Heartbleed Bug for Years]

From: "John Levine" <johnl () iecc com>
Date: 15 Apr 2014 00:50:07 -0000

In article <534C68F4.305 () cox net> you write:
On 4/14/2014 9:38 AM, Matthew Black wrote:
Shouldn't a decent OS scrub RAM and disk sectors before allocating
them to processes, unless that process enters processor privileged
mode and sets a call flag? I recall digging through disk sectors on
RSTS/E to look for passwords and other interesting stuff over 30
years ago.

I have been out of the loop for quite a while but my strongly held
belief is that such scrubbing would be an enormous (and intolerable)
overhead ...

It must be quite a while.  Unix systems have routinely cleared the RAM
and disk allocated to programs since the earliest days.

Pre-VM OS/360 may not have.

R's,
John