nanog mailing list archives

Re: [[Infowarrior] - NSA Said to Have Used Heartbleed Bug for Years]

From: Glen Wiley <glen.wiley () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 09:59:49 -0400

From: Doug Barton [mailto:dougb () dougbarton us]
When you say "clear the disk allocated to programs" what do you mean
exactly?

Seriously? When files are deleted, their sectors are simply released to the free space pool without erasing their
contents. Allocation of disk sectors without clearing them gives users/programs access to file contents previously
stored by other users/programs.

As to why this is a problem, well, as they write in some math textbooks, the answer is trivial and left as an
exercise to the reader. Well, usually trivial.

matthew black
california state university, long beach

Bruce Schneier gave a plug for bleachbit - it does a reasonable job of
trying to clean things up for you.