nanog mailing list archives

Re: De-funding the ITU

From: Bill Woodcock <woody () pch net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:23:12 -0800

On Jan 14, 2013, at 11:12 AM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
On Jan 14, 2013, at 7:27 AM, John Levine <johnl () iecc com> wrote:
The solution is not to cut off the poor countries.

I have no reason whatsoever to believe that defunding the ITU would
cut off the poor countries.

Quite the contrary, actually. I believe that the combination of the ITU
and the back-pocket distribution of settlement checks has held back the
improvement of digital connections to poorer countries.

Exactly.  The ITU bleeds poor countries dry, by keeping communications costs exorbitantly high, while appeasing them
with settlements.  The Internet doesn't need to bribe destitute people with settlements, because it's five orders of
magnitude less expensive: affordable enough that they can get online in the first place.

http://oecdinsights.org/2012/10/22/internet-traffic-exchange-2-billion-users-and-its-done-on-a-handshake/

The ITU has $181M/year.  It'll do just fine without our money.  No sense in throwing good money after bad.

                                -Bill