nanog mailing list archives

Re: economic value of low AS numbers

From: Keegan Holley <keegan.holley () sungard com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 14:34:48 -0500

2011/11/17 Dave Hart <davehart () gmail com>

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 18:55, Keegan Holley <keegan.holley () sungard com>
wrote:
I suppose I can't argue with that, but anyone technical enough to know
what an AS is should know better.  Also, would it really count?  What if
opened a small ISP in some carrier hotel and paid 1000 bucks for AS 1.
 I'm
not sure I'd want to sign a contract with someone dumb enough to think I
was the first company on the internet.

Did you intend to say the first autonomous system number assigned for
use on ARPAnet?

Pedantically yours,

I have to admit I wasn't sure.  I know ARPAnet predated BGP and EGP I
believe so I wasn't sure if there were ASN's then.