nanog mailing list archives

Re: economic value of low AS numbers

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 09:32:07 -0800

On Nov 17, 2011, at 6:53 AM, Dave Hart wrote:

AS path geeks:

At the risk of invoking ire and eliciting comparisons to the
widely-reviled and growing practice of selling IPv4 addresses, I'm
wondering if anyone has sold legacy AS numbers for quick cash.

For example, NASA has AS23 among others, and does not use 23.  Could
they help fund a Mars mission study or two by offering it to the
highest bidder?  Or would they be lucky to top the $500 ARIN charges
for a 32-bit ASN?

ARIN also charges $500 for 16 bit ASNs and still has those available.

I recognize there's no practical shortage of AS numbers.  BGP's
preference for low AS numbers doesn't come into play much.  On the
other hand, a low AS number can't hurt at the human level when
negotiating peering or attracting customers.

ARIN policy does not currently support the transfer of AS numbers in
this manner. IMHO, it shouldn't, but, there is a policy proposal to
do so. I suggest that anyone interested in this subject review the
proposal and join the discussion on arin-ppml.

Owen
(Speaking only for myself and not on behalf of the ARIN AC)