nanog mailing list archives

Re: 23,000 IP addresses

From: Steven Bellovin <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 15:44:31 -0400

On May 10, 2011, at 3:02 33PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

On May 10, 2011, at 11:49 AM, Michael Holstein wrote:

In the EU you have Directive 2006/24/EC:

But I'm not, and neither are most of the ISPs in the linked document.

Regards,

Michael Holstein
Information Security Administrator
Cleveland State University

In the US, I believe that CALEA requires you to have those records for 7 years.

Source, please -- I've never heard of this, nor can I find anything like it
at askcalea.com.  All I've found is that you have to keep records of
*interceptions*.  I've also seen numerous news stories about how the FBI
wants that to be added to the law, thus implying that it isn't there now.
See, for example, http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10448060-38.html