nanog mailing list archives

Re: OSPF vs IS-IS

From: Stefan Fouant <sfouant () shortestpathfirst net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 21:36:01 -0400

On 8/11/2011 8:16 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:

I would encourage you to ask the opposite question:  " Is there any
reason to run OSPF over IS-IS in the SP core?"
And the answer would be...  probably not.  There is not really a good
technical reason to run OSPF over IS-IS in the SP core.
You might have some aesthetic considerations such as wanting the SP
core to run the same protocol as something else,
despite its limitations.

Just to add to everything that Jimmy said, if you've got the time to do an in-depth side-by-side analysis of the two protocols, I strongly recommend the book "OSPF and IS-IS: Choosing an IGP for Large-Scale Networks" by Jeff Doyle. I can't speak highly enough of this book...

Stefan Fouant
JNCIE-ER, JNCIE-M, JNCIE-SEC, JNCI
Technical Trainer, Juniper Networks
http://www.shortestpathfirst.net